Note to self: Spend more time searching and browsing the RMN. It’s been too long, and they have some seriously cool stuff.
So, it’s been clear that everything is all muddy again.
I’m not sure anymore which layers I should be wearing with new insight into supportive kirtles to be accurate to about 1560s 70s:
- A smock next to my skin, plain white to be washed frequently.
- Over that, a shirt? Or a corset?
- Over a corset a shirt?
- Over the shirt, a kirtle. Sleeves or no? Supportive, with boning or no?
- Over the kirtle a partlet?
- Over the kirtle a gown.
- Accessorier: Hats, socks, shoes, gloves, ruffs and bling.
So for those 7 layers I’m certain about 3 if you count the accessories. There’s more ponderings and research to be done.
The one thing I know I need is a new red kirtle made in silk. But the question is how I should construct it.
Just goes to show you, the more you know, the less you’re certain.