New page!

Hurrah, I finally did the write-up of the sampler I did to test threads and some raised embroidery stitches. I didn’t really document which stitch I used where, but I think I only did one or two variations of the detached buttonhole, plus a couple of other stitches and outlines. Anyway, head on over to check it out!


Klosterstitch – the reveal

I posted before about the lesson learned about Klosterstitch. For me it was that I have to draw the pattern to follow on the ground fabric in order to make it even. I couldn’t post a picture of this before, as the piece I was working on was a surprise and a gift, but since it has now been given I can show you what I mean.

The image here shows the shield half done, the first half I did without the diagonals, and it worked for a bit, but ended up crooked in the end.

I started with the vertical lines drawn in, to help me guide where to lay the threads across the surface. With the needle I came up from the bottom and laid the threads towards the top, then came up again next to the laid thread to couch it down at regular intervals – these intervals were what I needed more guidance with, so ended up drawing in the diagonals to create a grid.
Margaret's cloth - reverseIn this image you can clearly see that the right side of the shield is much more even than the left side, when I had not drawn in the diagonals. The reverse (below) also shows how I didn’t quite manage to keep things even without the gridlines on the fabric.

Lesson about cloister stitch…

In order for me to make cloister stitch neat looking I need gridlines.

I first drew up just the directional lines to keep my laid threads in the same direction throughout. Then I found that in order to not have to turn the piece over every couching stitch I have to add lines for those as well. So basically I drew directly on the background fabric and follow those lines. Speeds up the stitching considerably and helps keep things even very nicely.

The difference the right thread makes


The other day when I was working on my bodice I only had sewing thread but I wanted to be able to try it on. So today I restocked on buttonhole floss and did the work over again. Looks so much better and the experience is so much nicer.

Blog at

Up ↑