So, it’s been clear that everything is all muddy again.
I’m not sure anymore which layers I should be wearing with new insight into supportive kirtles to be accurate to about 1560s 70s:
- A smock next to my skin, plain white to be washed frequently.
- Over that, a shirt? Or a corset?
- Over a corset a shirt?
- Over the shirt, a kirtle. Sleeves or no? Supportive, with boning or no?
- Over the kirtle a partlet?
- Over the kirtle a gown.
- Accessorier: Hats, socks, shoes, gloves, ruffs and bling.
So for those 7 layers I’m certain about 3 if you count the accessories. There’s more ponderings and research to be done.
The one thing I know I need is a new red kirtle made in silk. But the question is how I should construct it.
Just goes to show you, the more you know, the less you’re certain.